Nolan Springer became Mineral Point Wrestling’s 51st WIAA State Champion Saturday, February 29th at the Kohl Center in Madison. Mason Hughes also earned a podium spot with a 5th place finish. Tarrin Riley had a great first state meet, but did not place.
160: Nolan Springer (41-2) placed 1st
- Quarterfinal – Springer won by fall in 1:07 over Breed Shepard, Jr. (Crandon) 27-7.
- Semifinal – Springer won by 8-5 decision over Devin Dennee (Stratford) 49-3.
- 1st Place Match – Springer won by fall in 1:48 over William Peters (Chetek-Weyerhaeuser/Prairie Farm) 35-6.
182: Mason Hughes (37-11) placed 5th
- Preliminary – Hughes won by decision 12-10 over Tye Bader (Dodgeland) 35-8.
- Quarterfinal – John Bieber (Coleman) 44-2 won by major decision 13-3 over Hughes.
- Cons. Round 1 – Hughes won by major decision 13-4 over Aaron Duenk (Cedar Grove-Belgium) 37-11.
- Cons. Semi – Reese Anderson (Rosholt) 41-8 won in sudden victory 8-4 over Hughes.
- 5th Place Match – Hughes won by fall in 2:15 over Ben Strehlow (Weyauwega-Fremont) 42-10.
120: Tarrin Riley (21-9) did not place
- Preliminary – Riley won by decision 10-5 over Derick Vollendorf (Ladysmith) 35-11.
- Quarterfinal – Carter Greening (Weyauwega-Fremont) 44-3 won by fall in 1:58 over Riley.
- Cons. Round 1 – Mason Will (Saint Croix Falls) 39-11 won by decision 5-2 over Riley.